"TSMC constantly strives to build long-term innovative partnerships with our customers. Our cooperation with Realtek is one of the best examples of such partnerships", said Dr. Kenneth Kin, TSMC's Senior Vice President for Worldwide Marketing and Sales. "Based on long-term reciprocal partnerships, TSMC provides leading manufacturing platforms that keep customers at the forefront of technological advancement. We are very pleased that our 0.18µm RF CMOS technology was able to fully support Realtek's development of WLAN IC solutions, creating greater business opportunities for both companies".
"Using TSMC's CMOS technology, Realtek was able to develop high frequency 2.4GHz and 5GHz RF products, once again highlighting the two companies' mutually beneficial cooperative relationship. Combining TSMC's advanced manufacturing technology and Realtek's enhanced circuit design, the new CMOS WLAN solutions enable a faster, more secure, and more friendly wireless network infrastructure, catalyzing needs for digital living and driving applications for the digital home", said Realtek's Executive Vice President Jessy Chen. "Looking to the future, the synergy created by TSMC and Realtek's cooperation will bring significant benefits to both the industry and to customers".
TSMC's leading 0.18µm RF CMOS features high stability and low power consumption, and provides complete design tools, services, and support, including command files for EDA, comprehensive technical documents on the manufacturing process, and detailed information on device models. This ensures customers are able to accelerate new development and launch products on time. Successful development of the new series of Realtek low-power-consumption WLAN solutions has justified TSMC's advanced 0.18µm RF CMOS technology and services.
With the advantages of the advanced TSMC CMOS process, the new Realtek WLAN chipsets feature low power consumption, high integration, high performance, high adaptability, and compact package size, providing the most competitive WLAN total solutions for the industry.
The new Realtek WLAN chipsets are:
(1) RTL8185L: Integrated IEEE 802.11a/b/g Base-Band Processor and Media Access Controller
(2) RTL8187L: Integrated IEEE 802.11a/b/g Base-Band Processor and Media Access Controller with USB 2.0 interface
(3) RTL8225: IEEE 802.11b/g RF Transceiver
(4) RTL8255: IEEE 802.11a/b/g RF Transceiver
Implemented with the RTL8650B, Realtek's newly developed network gateway/router SoC, the RTL8185L, RTL8187L, RTL8225, and RTL8255 provide eight dual-band triple-mode wireless LAN card and router applications as follows:
|CardBus WLAN Card
|WLAN-Embedded MiniPCI for Notebook
|USB 2.0 WLAN Dongle
2.4GHz & 5GHz
Application strengths of the new Realtek WLAN solutions include:
(1) Use of Asia's first all CMOS WLAN chipsets, ranking among the world's top three all CMOS WLAN solutions, thereby increasing market opportunities and sustaining long-term competence.
(2) 7dB higher than IEEE standards; Realtek solutions achieve five times the average receive-sensibility.
(3) Fully complying with the USB 2.0 standard, the new chipsets feature low power consumption, a 3dB higher output power, and 40% further distance transmission.
(4) Easy installation. Supporting Windows XP Zero Configuration and the software access point function, the Realtek WLAN solutions are able to transform a desktop computer into a wireless access point.
(5) Low manufacturing cost. In addition to no requirement for a VCO (Voltage Controlled Oscillator) or a SAW (Surface Acoustic Wave), implementation of the new chipsets can cut 20% of external components and 33% of bonding pins, greatly reducing manufacturing cost.
The Realtek RTL8185L, RTL8187L, RTL8225, and RTL8255, will be showcased at Realtek's Computex booth, No. D210, Hall 1, Taipei World Trade Center, June 1~5.
For information on the new Realtek WLAN chipsets, please contact the company by phone or visit its website: www.realtek.com.tw.